Facebook Pixel Skip to main content

Grants and Loans


Jump to Loans


Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is available to eligible students at LCN. To apply, students must complete the FAFSA application for financial aid. The resulting expected family contribution (EFC) will determine eligibility for all financial aid programs, including the Pell grant. This aid can be used to pay tuition, fees, books, and supplies, up to the amount available each semester. If the student has funds after costs are met, then refunds are generally available 30 days after starting classes each semester.

Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC)

A resident of Illinois (who is a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States), enrolled in an eligible program at LCN, who demonstrates financial need as determined by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission, may receive a grant, called the Monetary Award Program (MAP). There is not a separate State application. To be considered for the state award, a student need only indicate Illinois residency when the FAFSA is completed. A dependent student's parent(s), whose information was required on the Federal Student Aid Application (FAFSA), must be an Illinois resident. The State sets deadlines each award year that a student must meet to be considered for the MAP award. It is recommended that students apply early each award year. The announced awards (estimated or actual) can be reduced or canceled at anytime during the award year. The MAP grant is applied to tuition and mandatory fees and is non-refundable to the student.

Step 3 - Acceptance of Aid

Federal Pell Grant and State Grant/MAP will be applied to a student's account who has met the eligibility. Federal Student Loans must be accepted through the application process for Federal Direct Loans.


Federal Loan Programs

To be eligible to apply for any of the Title IV student loans, students must:

  • Apply for financial aid using the FAFSA.

  • Have a completed, verified as accurate, student aid file on record.

  • Complete loan counseling and other special requirements.

  • Be enrolled in at least half-time enrollment status.

  • Be enrolled in only coursework relevant to the program of study.

  • Meet DL Program Regulations per 34 CFR part 668.

  • Meet School priority dates

Federal Direct Loan Program (subsidized and unsubsidized)

  • Repayment begins six months after the student graduates, withdraws from the school, or drops below half-time enrollment.

  • Loan disbursements are deposited in the form of electronic funds to the student's LCN account and are released no earlier than thirty days after the beginning of the semester.

  • Students may request up to $7,500.00 at the Junior or Senior Level each award year (max subsidized amount in the figure is $5500.00).

  • Independent students may be eligible for additional unsubsidized loans for a maximum eligibility of $12,500

  • Please note: Some students may qualify for the following loan processing standards based on their program completion plan and will be contacted by Financial Aid Office with their Federal loan eligibility.

    1. Students who graduate mid-year (December) and are enrolled in 6 or more credit hours for the remaining summer and fall semesters can qualify to process aid based on the borrower-based award year (BBAY). This allows the student to maximize Federal loan/grant eligibility.

    2. Students that graduate mid-year (December) and are not enrolled in any preceding summer semester courses will require Federal loan proration for Federal loans processed in the Fall since the final enrollment period is shorter than the academic year in length.


Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Parents may borrow for their dependent undergraduate students. Parents would be eligible to borrow up to the cost of education minus any financial aid.


Loan Interest Rates

To view current interest rates and other loan information, go to StudentAid.gov

Applying for Federal Direct Loans

Once the student file has been verified, loan processing instructions will be forwarded to the student’s LCN email account. The application process is conducted via the Internet. The student will be required to log in at specific sites (noted below) and use the Federal Student ID, the same ID that must be used when completing the application for Federal Student Aid (the FAFSA) each award year.

To apply, complete these steps:

  1. Complete entrance counseling at Studentaid.gov. All first-time borrowers are required to complete this step.

  2. Complete the Electronic Master Promissory Note (EMPN) at Studentaid.gov.

  3. Return the loan request responses from the previous email to the FA Office.

  4. Meet the school priority processing date for the semester regarding loan processing.

If the parent is applying for the Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), the student must:

  1. Complete the PLUS Application request process at Studentaid.gov.

  2. Complete the PLUS Electronic Master Promissory Note at Studentaid.gov.

  3. Contact the Financial Aid Office with the requested loan amount.

34 CFR Section 668.202 (e)(1) of the Federal Direct Loan (DL) Program provides that a school may refuse to certify a Direct or PLUS loan application or may reduce the borrower's determination of the need for the loan if the reason for that action is documented and provided to the student in writing provided the determination is made on a case-by-case basis. All previous borrowing of student loans and total debt will be reviewed before certification of future loans.

Repayment of Federal loans

LCN students who process Federal Loans and drop below half-time enrollment, withdraw from the program, or graduate, will receive personalized exit information from the Financial Aid Office regarding their Federal loans. More information on repaying Federal student loans can be found at https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/repayment

Federal Student Loan Ombudsman

The Ombudsman Group is dedicated to helping resolve disputes related to Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program loans, Perkins Loans, and grant programs. If a borrower has completed the steps to resolve a loan dispute and is unsatisfied, the borrower may need to contact the Federal Student Aid (FSA) Ombudsman Group of the U.S. Department of Education (ED). The Ombudsman Group is a neutral, informal, and confidential resource to help resolve disputes about federal student loans. Contact the Ombudsmen Group as a last resort. Make every effort to resolve student loan problems before contacting the Ombudsman Group.

U. S. Department of Education
FSA Ombudsman Group
PO Box 1843
Monticello, KY 42633
Phone: 877-557-2575
Fax: 606-396-4821

Alternative Loans

Alternative loans, commonly called "private loans," are offered by various banks and private lenders to cover the costs of College not covered by other financial aid resources. The private lender will run a credit check on the potential borrower. Also, it is common to be required to have a co-signer for the loan. Interest rates are variable by the borrower and based on many factors that the lender deems relevant.

Alternative loans are intended for:

  • students whose financial aid does not cover the total cost of higher education (Cost of Attendance is considered in need) or,

  • students who may not be enrolled in a financial aid eligible program or,

  • students who may not be eligible for financial aid for other reasons.

Depending on individual circumstances, a parent may also be able to borrow alternative loans to help pay for a child's college expenses.

Many companies offer alternative loans. As a wise consumer, shop around and investigate what lender offers the best loan to meet educational needs.
Students may choose any lender. In considering a lender, look at the interest rates, repayment period, "reward" options, the quality of their customer service, and the amount eligible to borrow within specific time frames. These considerations will determine the best loan to meet educational needs.

Lakeview College of Nursing does not sponsor or endorse any lender. We do have a "historical" listing of lenders that current and/or previous students have used. Visit FASTChoice at http://choice.fastproducts.org/FastChoice/home/1050100 to view additional private loan entrance information and compare products offered by lenders on the historical list. As a consumer, research options and use the best judgment to choose a lender. We strongly suggest that students contact us to discuss the Federal Direct loan program and what advantages concerning interest rates, repayment options, and other consumer information may make it a better choice for borrowing funds for educational expenses. A parent of an undergraduate student also has the option of borrowing on the student's behalf for education expenses called the Federal PLUS program; this program may also have advantages for the consumer compared to an alternative loan. Each of these Federal loan programs requires that the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) be completed and verified to be accurate before the loan can be certified and processed. Students can also research this information on their own at the Department of Education's Web page, https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/loans/federal-vs-private.

For all loan questions, please call the Financial Aid Office at 217.709.0928.